August 6, 2013
After the GB meeting
6th June 2013
The fact that it is permanent.
Notice of parents’ right to ask for the decision to be reviewed by an independent review panel and the following information:
- the date by which an application for a review must be made
- the name and address to whom an application for a review (and any written evidence) should be submitted;
- that any application should set out the grounds on which it is being made and that, where appropriate, this should include a reference to how the pupil’s special educational needs are considered to be relevant to the exclusion;
- that, regardless of whether the excluded pupil has recognised special educational needs, parents have a right to require the local authority / Academy Trust to appoint an SEN expert to attend the review;
- details of the role of the SEN expert and that there would be no cost to parents for this appointment;
- that parents must make clear if they wish for a SEN expert to be appointed in any application for a review; and
- Section 51A Education Act 2002 and regulations made under this section.
- that parents may, at their own expense, appoint someone to make written and / or oral representations to the panel and that parents may also bring a friend to the revie
- That, in addition to the right to apply for an independent review panel, if parents believe that the exclusion has occurred as a result of discrimination then they may make a claim under the Equality Act 2010 to the First-tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability), in the case of disability discrimination, or the County Court, in the case of other forms of discrimination
- That a claim of discrimination made under these routes should be lodged within six months of the date on which the discrimination is alleged to have taken place, e.g. the day on which the pupil was excluded.